As we walked away from the Upper Arlington fireworks, a young lad no older than 4 sat on his fathers shoulders. This boy was chanting " Kim Jong-il Sucks, Kim Jong-il sucks". Random I know, but so was our weekend.
Friday we headed out to Alum Creek State Park. We went out with our friends the Tomans. Eric and I cycled out to the lake, while the women and child drove. Meeting us there. We enjoyed very intermittent moments of sunshine. Later that evening our friend Mark came to visit. He was my former roommate and currently lives in Indianapolis.
The Columbus firework display known as "Red, White and Boom" left something to be desired, it didn't seem to last as long as last years, and there were moments of darkness. I'll chalk this up to the economic times. The following night the UA fireworks show was more enjoyable. The the prefirework enternainment performed a cover of Nelly's "E.I." Along with other pop hits from this decade.
I'm sure most of you went to family BBQ's, friends parties etc. I too would like to share my thoughts juxtaposing two gatherings this weekend.
Event one: a Pre-Red, White and Boom party
Location: an Urban House in Downtown Columbus
Food: homemade pulled pork sandwiches, chips with queso, salsa and homemade quacamole, Adult beverages on ice
Disscussions held at event one: New home modificaions, Facebook and the workplace, gardening, downtown. New aquanitances were made. A good time was had
Event two: The friend of a friends 4th of July BBQ
Location: A Hillard, OH home decorated with blocks of wood and other homemade handy crafts. Food: Hot dogs, bratwursts, watermelon, pasta salad, cold diet soda.
Since I had already eaten more than I should have eaten at a previous BBQ I did not eat much. My hosts were very generous and friendly, I could not turn them down! I grabbed a pink plate, which I was told was left over from a baby shower. (note: one should always eat off pink paper plates when available. It seems to make the food taste so much better!) When said hosts noticed I did not take much food I was offered any thing they had, even a bowl of cereal. I held back the comment "dude, thanks but no thanks, I had all you can eat Marshmellow Maties at the Cannon Center." To not offend I took seconds on the Pasta Salad (which was really tasty.) Since I did not know anyone there I was asked the following questions:
"Are you married?", "What are you doing here [in Columbus]?", "What TV shows do you watch?", "Do you have any children?"
The men sat in the living room watching a recorded reality show about a man on a horse tracking two random strangers in the Canadian wilderness. The women sat in the kitchen talking about the young women's classes at church.
Yes, two random thoughts about two random parties that when contrasted with each other is humorus (if to no one else but myself). And so is a small child yelling "Kim Jong-il sucks"
*Note if you do not know who Kim Jong-il is, here is his wikipedia :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Jong-il
No comments:
Post a Comment