Saturday, June 13, 2009

Flag City Triathlon


I missed my age group start, all the sprint distance runners were in the water... all the Olympic distance racers under 40 were in the water.... I jumped in the water with the 40-50 age group wave. It was a dock start where in pairs we ran down a wooden dock and jumped in feet first. I swam the first quarter mile, then at the turn I saw and heard Christy cheering me on, soon after that the photo above was taken.

The Flag City Multisport Celebration slogan is "to play hard on Saturday and pray even harder on Sunday" Prior to the swim I was chatting to this guy, in talking to him I noted that I appreciated that this was a sanctioned race on a Saturday; as I don't race on Sundays. Turns out he is one of the race directors, and welcomed my comment.

Once I found a rhythm in the water I felt I had a strong swim. On the bike, I hit 30mph coming down the hill from the swim. It was a flat and FAST bike course that ventured through young corn and wheat fields to Mainstreet in down town Findlay, OH.

It was a beautiful day for a run, It was 75 degrees and overcast. The Run was around the reservoir and back down to the finish area. I finished strong. Our friends the Thomas's were waiting for us at the finish. Mitchell Thomas who is 9 ran next to me as a sprinted the last 200 yards. He told me he wants to do the sprint race next year.

On a forgetful note I did not take my swim cap to the swim start, I asked a race official if I was allowed to not have one. He looked at my head and replied "dude you don't need a swim cap."